The University of West Florida is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Disabled/Veteran employer. Any individual requiring special accommodation to apply is requested to advise UWF by contacting UWF Human Resources at 1-850-474-2694 (voice) or 1-850-857-6158 (TTY). E-Verify requirements may apply for employment in certain positions. All applications for employment at the University are subject to Florida public records law.
Please review job requirements carefully. Failure to submit all pieces of the application may result in disqualification. Applications are accepted on the University of West Florida career site: https://careers.uwf.edu. For assistance contact UWF Human Resources at 850-474-2694 or email@example.com.
Employment based visa sponsorship will NOT be considered for this position.
Position Title (Classification Title):
Assistant Vice President 120380
CEO, Florida SBDC Network
The CEO of the Florida SBDC Network is responsible for the executive leadership and administration of SBDC programs, services and support resources, including but not limited to strategic and program development, program management, financial management, reports management, promotion and public relations, program assessment and evaluation, and internal quality control. The CEO oversees the SBDC’s network, a $20 million budget and nearly 250 employees and 45 offices statewide and reports directly to the President of The University of West Florida.
SBDC-State Director's Office
Masters degree in an appropriate area of specialization and six years of appropriate experience; or a bachelors degree in an appropriate area of specialization and eight years of appropriate experience.
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and 7 years of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and 9 years relevant experience. Successful applicant must have a willingness to travel.
- Experience managing multiple sub-contract operations with diverse geographic and
- demographic territories in Florida.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal, state and local business development issues.
- Extensive experience in programmatic, staff and financial management.
- Experience in managing a business assistance program and managing government
- Experience with academic structures, units and processes
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to develop relationships that will sustain the organization and meet
- stakeholder and partner needs and requirements
- Experience leading a dispersed, in-direct report staff
- Small business management or consulting support experience
- SBDC experience
- Experience securing funding
- Experience managing government grants
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation
Essential Functions / Job Duties:
- 30% - Strategic Planning, Statewide Responsibilities and Leadership Overall planning, direction and results of the Florida SBDC network, ensuring that execution and implementation of SBDC services fulfills mission and deliverable requirements. Provides strategic leadership and oversight of the Florida Small Business Development Center Network. Creates and implements the Florida SBDC network strategic plan. Guides the development, ongoing planning and implementation of vision, mission and direction that occurs in partnership with federal and state agencies and participating partner SUS institutions. Assures compliance with applicable laws, regulations, OMB circulars and Executive Orders, the annual Cooperative Agreement with the SBA, and accreditation standards. Consults with the State University System Board of Governors, federal and state agency partners, and the network’s statewide advisory board to ensure that the network’s policies and programs align with the statewide goals of the State University System and the statewide strategic economic development plan as provided under Florida Statute §20.60. Identifies and manages the development of new initiatives and programs to meet evolving needs of small businesses (customers), stakeholders and SUS institutions. Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external stakeholders and other consortia, working with leadership of key state agencies and organizations, existing and potential funding sponsors, including congressional and state legislative elected officials, federal and state agency leadership, and other business and economic development Stakeholders. Allocating resources necessary to meet the SBDC mission, including developing and managing the SBDC Network Lead Office annual budget, and approving center annual budgets and work plans. Promotes staff performance excellence within the network. Develops, executes and maintains a professional development plan for network staff. Manages the network Advisory Board. - (Essential)
- 30% - Operational Infrastructure: Customer Service, Technology and Finance Manages SBDC Network Lead Office Staff. Administers overall operations, as well as, supporting new and existing staff within an environment by mentoring, supporting and maintaining a strong sense of teamwork across multiple institutional partners and large geographic markets. Oversees development of the budget and financial management as chief decision maker for all services activity. Consults and collaborates regularly with the SUS host partner institutions in support of major implementation and ongoing management of network small business services. Ensures an operating structure, adequate investment, and culture committed to quality and continuous improvement of the programs services, and performance excellence, results and value of taxpayer investment. Seeks resources and identifies new potential funding to support the programs and initiatives related to the mission of the Florida SBDC Network, including legislative requests, collaborative contracts, grants, foundation funding and corporate gifts. Develops and maintains close working relationships with the SBDC regional hosts and SBDC regional center directors to achieve goals and deliverable expectations. Develops relationships within the University of West Florida and aligns and integrates the SBDC to support University strategic initiatives, and to promote student involvement (internships, class projects, etc.) and research opportunities. Serving as liaison with the national Association of America’s SBDCs, and SBA national, regional and district offices. - (Essential)
- 10% - Other duties as assigned - (Essential)
- 30% - Communication, Consultation and Collaboration Consults and communicates regularly with sponsoring agencies, FSBDCN Executive and Senior Leadership Team and membership of the FSBDCN and provides timely and comprehensive reporting on activities and initiatives. Consults and communicates regularly with the America’s SBDC Board of Directors, FSBDCN State Advisory Board, Florida Chamber Board, Enterprise Florida Executive Committee, CareerSource Florida Board and Florida Economic Development Council Board in support of national and statewide direction and overall support from business, economic development and legislative leaders. Ensures sustained communications with statewide network staff and member institutions throughout Florida for informational updates, dialog and ongoing problem solving around issues of impact and interest. Represents the Florida SBDC Network and university in person and in communications with a broad range of constituencies within the state, region and nation. Serves as the chief spokesperson for Florida SBDC network initiatives. Promotes the SBDC brand in cooperation with the University of West Florida. - (Essential)
- Physical Requirements: No unusual physical requirement. Requires no heavy lifting and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Impact of Deadlines: Externally imposed deadlines set or revised on short notice. Frequent shifts in priority. Numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention. Unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success of major projects.
- Standing: Daily
- Walking: Daily
- Sitting: Daily
- Reaching with hands and arms: Occasionally
- Climbing or balancing: Never
- Stooping: Occasionally
- Use of hands to handle objects: Daily
- Lifting up to 10lbs: Occasionally
- Lifting up to 25lbs: Occasionally
- Lifting over 25lbs: Never
- Talking as express or exchange of ideas verbally: Daily
- Hearing as perceive sound by ear: Daily
- Vision as distinguish colors & depth: Daily
Special Requirements or Considerations of the Job:
This position requires a criminal background screen
$150,000 - $175,000
Preferred Response Date:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Candidates must apply online through the University of West Florida website: https://careers.uwf.edu.
Applicants are required to attach a resume, cover letter and three references.
An opportunity to upload these documents will be provided during the application process.
For assistance, please contact Human Resources at 850-474-2694 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.