Claflin University seeks an experienced attorney for the position of Vice President and General Counsel.
The Vice President and General Counsel will be responsible for providing legal representation for the University. The VP and General Counsel will represent the University on all legal affairs and provide advice, assistance, and guidance to the University. Representation includes successful defense of claims brought against the University and management of the University's risks of exposure for potential liability. The VP and General Counsel will provide legal advice in all aspects of general corporate and employment matters and general student matters. The VP and General Counsel will serve as chief legal advisor to the President on issues related to the University, providing recommendations, advice, and input consistent with best practices, the strategic plan, and the mission of the University.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides legal advice, guidance, and assistance to the University Senior Administrators, and other employees as appropriate. Prepares and reviews all legal documents related to the business of the University.
- Oversees all litigation involving Claflin University. Manages outside counsel and coordinates with insurance carriers on coverage and case management.
- Provides advice and counsel regarding labor and employment issues and employee relations matters to include performance and disciplinary issues, ensuring lawful employment practices and adherence to Equal Employment Opportunity policies. Assists in the administration of employee terminations or other adverse actions and any subsequent grievance, administrative appeal, and/or litigation.
- Assumes responsibility for responding to investigations by state and federal agencies, including the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission, the Equal Employment Office, and the Office of Civil Rights.
- Provides supervision and oversight for all employee complaints and all allegations of discrimination, including Title IX matters.
- Coordinates, tracks, and reviews legal issues and contracts.
- Supervises the Department of Human Resources and the Office of the Internal Auditor.
- Serves as an advocate for the College with its various constituencies and the general public.
- Drafts or reviews proposed contracts, leases, and other legal documents; researches legal issues; and recommends revisions as necessary.
- Represents or oversees the representation of the institution, and management in judicial and administrative proceedings at the local, state and federal levels.
- Provides training to the staff and faculty on various legal issues through seminars and meetings.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest developments in higher education law and other related areas.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are up to date and are in compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina and in good standing as a member of the South Carolina Bar.
- A juris doctor or its equivalent from an accredited law school
- Three (3) years’ experience as a practicing attorney
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Prior legal experience at an institution of higher education either as an employee or external counsel.
Closing Date: Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and credentials.